Dauphin County Genealogy Resource Center
Millersburg  Home Up Search Census Search Site Map The Store
Home
Online Data
Resources
Submit Data
Contact
Reference
Queries
Lookups
Researchers
Success Stories
Policy
Old Links
Surnames
MILLERSBURG.  Is a borough in Upper Paxton Township, situated on the Susquehanna river, at the mouth of the Wicinisco creek, twenty-three miles north of Harrisburg on the Williamsport Division  of the Pennsylvania Railroad, and at the junction of the Lykens Valley Railroad. The borough had a population of 2,936 in 1920.

The borough owes its name to Daniel Miller, who with his brother John, settled here in 1790, having taken up four hundred acres of land, upon which "improvements" were at once commenced. The town was plotted in July, 1807, and incorporated April 8, 1850. At   about the same time that the Millers settled at this place, Francis Jacques, or "French Jacob", as he was popularly called, built a grist-mill on the north bank of the creek near his log house, which was a sort of "frontier fort" as well, for the protection of the settlement. "French Jacob", owing it is said to domestic troubles, soon left the place, and the mill and the log house fell into decay.

The first school in the settlement was taught by Daniel Miller in a log building, which was erected in 1794, and which also served as a 'frontier fort". In 1813 another school house was erected, in which a German taught.

The author of the historical sketch of the schools in Dauphin county, as given in the Report of the Superintendent of Public Instruction for 1877, says, "The early settles of Lykens Valley, were principally Germans, and it was their custom of establishing a schoolhouse with every church, which were all German Reformed and Lutheran. These schools were supported by the patrons, at a cost of fifty cents a month. The German language was taught exclusively, up to 1815 or 1816, in both valleys (Lykens and Armstrongs), when English was introduced, and both languages were taught in the same school" (The author is inclined to the opinion that the majority of the first settlers in both of these valleys were,as the author states, German, and not French Huguenots, as is so often stated. Some of the names which are commonly given as those of French Huguenots are Scotch-Irish, as is the case with Lycon (or Lyken), and it is probable that several of the names of the early settlers, which are usually given as being French, are in reality German. The Ferree, Le Roy, Jacques and possible a few others are French, but the great majority are German. The fact that the German language was used in the schools in both Lykens and the Armstrong valleys up to 1816, would itself indicate this as being the case).

In the report previously quoted it is also state, in speaking of the schools at Millersburg, "In 1833, a select school was taught by Mrs. Susan Barringer, a lady of considerable culture, who established a good educational sentiment, and was succeeded by Mr. Samuel Mcgan, a man of scholastic abilities. About the year 1844 or 1845, the free school system was adopted, after being defeated twice,as the town and the township were, at that time one school district. In 1857, after Millersburg had a school district of its own, there were two schools in the borough, taught by tow male teachers, who were paid the salary of $32.50 per month - and only four months of school. The average attendance was 135 pupils, costing per pupil per month 34 cents, which was just about half of what it cost to educate the children in the schools of Harrisburg at that time.

The town of Millersburg was little more than a small village in 1846. containing about 80 dwelling houses, three churches, two stores and one mill. In 1850 it had a population of 500.

Such was the borough of Millersburg in the early years of its history. It, like all of the other towns in Dauphin county along the Susquehanna river, has a most pleasing situation and a wonderful view of the blue mountain ridges and of the sweeping waters of the river. today it is one of the most thriving towns in the county. The town, like many others in Central Pennsylvania, is regularly laid out, with wide streets, crossing at right angles. Market Square, with its beautiful little park, and soldiers monument, is a most attractive public square, and the residential section of the borough, on various public occasions this square has been a central gathering place and the scene of many celebrations.

 

 

 

Dauphin County Genealogy Resource Center

 

Web design Copyright 1996-2002. All rights reserved Robert L. Maley. 
 Submitted material Copyright 1996-2002. All rights reserved by the respective submitters

 Revised: May 04, 2005 .

View Census Records Online at Ancestry.com!