WICONISCO. The little village of Wiconisco is situated on the creek from which it takes
its name, about half a mile from the borough of Lykens. The town was laid out in 1848 by
Thomas Couch and Peter Shaefer. It is now largely settled by miners who work in the mines
near by. Wiconisco creek separates it from Lykens. The Evangelical Association organized a
congregation at this place in 1831. The Methodist Episcopal and the Welsh Baptist
denominations organized churches in 1854 and 1865 respectively.