Dauphin County Genealogy Resource Center
Wenrich Church  Home Up Search Census Search Site Map The Store
Up
Online Data
Resources
Submit Data
Contact
Reference
Queries
Lookups
Researchers
Success Stories
Policy
Old Links
Surnames

 

Wenrich Church

On the left, the Wenrich Church in 1928. Built in 1857, remodeled in 1892. On the right, the old parochial mission house on Wenrich farm. Used for school and church purposes from 1765 till 1794 when the first log church built

Partial Burial Records

 

With the Forefathers of Wenrich's Church, by Nevin W. Moyer, 1922

Sent to America by Queene Anne of England, transported to New York in ten small ships by Governor Robert Hunter of New York in 1710, then, to pay for their passage, sent up the Hudson River and put to work at the impossible task of trying to make tar and pitch out of the wrong kind of pine trees, they first experienced the thrill of the adventurous journey to the new world, then the discomfiture of failing in their appointed task, and the consequent displeasure of the Governor who was responsible. The disgruntled Governor now bade them shift for themselves. In their extremity they appealed to friendly Indians and obtained permission to settle on lands at Schoharie, New York. Here their sojourn was but temporary, because the displeased Governor gave their lands to speculators in Albany, who told the Germans to buy the lands or get out.

Governor William Keith of Pennsylvania was more hospitable and invited them to settle in his state. Whereupon, in 1723, thirty-three families floated down the Susquehanna River as far as the mouth of Swatara Creek, up the valley of which they journeyed till they crossed over into the valley of Tulpehocken Creek, where they founded settlements. With great industry they cleared the and built homes and within a year had also built a Union Church, since both Lutheran and Reformed churches were represented by these people.

From this time on the colonists made progress but not without many privations and hardships. Eventually they obtained title to their lands and as their numbers increased their children and grandchildren began to spread to nearby regions.

Among this group pf sturdy pioneers were the early Wenrichs and one of this ambitious younger crowd was Francis Wenrich, who bought the Running Pump Farm of 201 1/2 acres in 1784m near what is now known as Linglestown in Dauphin County. He provided two and three-quarters acres of land for the building of a church in which the United congregations held their services. Then this union church combined with members of the Presbyterian and Episcopal denominations to found a new Union Church. For this croup a new church house of logs was built in 1794.  These early churches were, of course, followed by more modern edifices from time to time.

 Information was printed in The Wenrich Family Bulletin, Number 5, 1928

 

Transcribed and Copyright by Robert L. Maley

 

Dauphin County Genealogy Resource Center

 

Web design Copyright 1996-2002. All rights reserved Robert L. Maley. 
 Submitted material Copyright 1996-2002. All rights reserved by the respective submitters

 Revised: May 04, 2005 .

View Census Records Online at Ancestry.com!