ELIZABETHVILLE. This borough is situated about 9 miles from Millersburg on the Summit
Branch Railway. It now has a population of 1,236. The town was plotted by John Bender in
1817. It was named in honor of Bender's wife, Elizabeth. The founder of the town kept a
tavern, which was one of the favorite stopping places of travelers of the day. John Bender
is buried in the graveyard connected with the "Old Stone Church", in which are
also buried many of the early settlers of the near by region. The town contains many
handsome church buildings, banks, school houses, etc. It was incorporated in 1893.