Dauphin County Genealogy Resource Center
Old Derry Church  Home Up Search Census Search Site Map The Store
Up
Online Data
Resources
Submit Data
Contact
Reference
Queries
Lookups
Researchers
Success Stories
Policy
Old Links
Surnames
OLD DERRY CHURCH. This old church site, not far from Hershey, is the site of the old Derry Presbyterian Church, which held services at this place, or near by, as early as 1724, although the church was not organized until 1733. Derry Township, like many other sections along the Susquehanna and in the Cumberland Valley was first settled by Scotch-Irish Presbyterians, who erected their churches and schools as soon as they built their homes. The present memorial Church was erected in 1884. At the dedication exercises, which was held on October 2,, 1884, Dr. William Egle, a direct descendant of the Rev. John Elder, D.D., and former State Librarian and historical writer, delivered the historical address. A history of this old church is well worth reading and a visit to the site of it is an inspiration.

 

 

 

Dauphin County Genealogy Resource Center

 

Web design Copyright 1996-2002. All rights reserved Robert L. Maley. 
 Submitted material Copyright 1996-2002. All rights reserved by the respective submitters

 Revised: May 04, 2005 .

View Census Records Online at Ancestry.com!