CLYDE, John
Back Up Next

CLYDE, JOHN JOSEPH, son of Thomas Clyde (1788-1821) and Mary Dentzel (1789-1845), was born December 14, 1813, in Mechanicsburg, Cumberland county, Pa. He was educated in the schools of Harrisburg, and learned the trade of bookbinder. In 1834 he established himself in business in Brownsville, Fayette county, Pa., and two years after started the Fayette Journal, which he continued for three years. In 1840, returned to Harrisburg and purchased the bindery of Samuel H. Clark, connecting a bookstore therewith. In 1849 he was elected treasurer of the county of Dauphin, and in 1851 started the Whig State Journal. The year following purchased the Pennsylvania Intelligencer, uniting it with the Journal. In 1853, sold the establishment to John J. Patterson, and commenced the publication of the Chrystal Fountain. The same year bought one-third interest in the Pennsylvania Telegraph, which in 1855 he sold to Mr. Bergner. During the Presidential Campaign of 1856 he published the American. The same year started the Daily Herald, which was continued until 1858, when he sold to O. Barrett and entered the service of the Lebanon Valley railroad as its agent. Mr. Clyde married first, in 1834, Emeline Harvey, born 1811, in Perry county, Pa., died April, 1870, at Harrisburg, daughter of John and Mary Harvey, and their children were: Virginia D., Joanna H., Mary A., Thomas H., Olive L., John, Joseph, Edward W., Harvey E., and Annie C. He married, secondly, Mrs. Eliza (Jacobs) Cornyn, of Harrisburg, now deceased.

 

Dorothy Bumbaugh

Sidney, Indiana page 337-338