CHANDLER, WILLIAM G., agent and superintendent of the United Gas Improvement Co., Harrisburg works, was born at Harrisburg, Pa., November 19, 1832. His father, Jonathan Chandler, was born at Brandywine Hundred, New Castle county, Del., in the old homestead which has been occupied by the Chandler family for over two hundred years. His mother, Mary (Griffith) Chandler, was born at Gap, Chester county, Pa. They settled in Harrisburg at a very early date. His father was a blacksmith, and an agent for the Good Intent Packet Line; but in his later years he was engaged in the livery business. He was widely and favorably known, and was a highly respected citizen. He was twice married. Of the first marriage there were six children, of whom the only one surviving is William G. To the second marriage there were six children, of whom Elizabeth, wife of David Wenrich, George, and Julia, wife of Charles Markell, still survive and reside in Harrisburg.
In his youth William G. Chandler had the advantages of the public schools only. He worked at blacksmithing in his brotherís shop for a time, but subsequently learned the trade of iron moulder. In 1852 he removed to Altoona, Pa., where he completed his term of apprenticeship at this business, and afterwards worked at his trade in the shops of the Pennsylvania railroad in that town for about two years. In 1856 he became a locomotive fireman, and followed this vocation for five years. From January, 1861, to January, 1862, he held the position of locomotive engineer on the Northern Central railroad between Marysville and Baltimore, Md. In January, 1862, he returned to the Pennsylvania railroad, and was employed as an engineer for five years. In 1867 he engaged in the wholesale and retail produce business in which he continued until 1872, when he entered the employ of the Harrisburg Gas Company; since September 1, 1864, he has held the position of superintendent of its works. This continuous service of one company for twent-three years, twelve of which were devoted to the management of its business, shows his business capacity and integrity, and the esteem in which he is held by those who know him best. He was appointed agent of the company May 1, 1896.
Mr. Chandler was married at Harrisburg to Miss Henrietta Farver, of Bedford county. Three children were born to them, all of whom died in infancy. Mr. Chandler is a member of Mountain Lodge, No. 281, F.&A.M., of Altoona. In political preference he is a staunch Democrat. He attends the Presbyterian church.